Migration is the crucial and important step in a business environment due to the various restrictions in a platform or a framework and the need to make the data accessible on other required platforms. This migration helps in improving the usability and access to data or content among different available platforms.
Here, we are discussing how to migrate the data of MySQL into Microsoft SQL Server in a flawless manner. There is no “Rocket Science” involved in the entire process and it is as simple as it can be. By performing certain simple steps, it is now much easier to plan the migration from MySQL platform to Microsoft SQL Server environment. Before going further in this direction, let us first discuss the various things that need to be considered while planning a migration process.
Checklists for the data migration from MySQL to MSSQL platform
If you want to perform the data migration task from MySQL to MSSQL platform in a flawless manner, you need to pay attention to various things.
- You need to ensure that the MySQL is properly installed on the various operating systems. There are different installation steps for MySQL for Windows and Linux Ubuntu platforms. Check out the operating system first and then follow the required installation steps accordingly.
- It is also important to analyze properly if the SQL Server Management Studio is installed efficiently or not. In the case of the Windows system, you need to perform the certain installation steps for Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. This platform is restricted to Window users only and is not available for Linux users.
Data Migration Steps from MySQL to MSSQL platform
Here is the step by step instructions for performing the data migration from MySQL platform to MSSQL platform. Take a look below at these simple steps.
- You need to first download and install the MySQL ODBC Connector, to begin with, the above process. You can also find out the latest release of this extension here.
- Now, it is time to download and install SQL Server Migration Assistant for MySQL platform. Users can easily download the same from here.
- On the same page, you need to locate and click on the “Download” button. The action would open up a new page. Once the page is opened, you need to select the file named as “SSMA_MySql\SSMA for MySql.5.3.0.exe”. The user just has to download the required file from there and get it installed on your system.
- The user just has to open the “Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for MySQL” tool that is already installed on your system. In case, the tool is not visible on the desktop, it is time to go to “Start” button and search the same tool over there. You would get the screen as shown below:
- To get started with this platform, you need to go to “File -> New Project” and then create a new project for the data migration from MySQL to MSSQL platform. Here is the screenshot of the same process as shown below:
- Once, the user has created the project successfully, it is time to click on the “Connect to MySQL” option present on the top of the page. A dialog box would be opened known as “Connect to MySQL”. Once, the dialog box is opened, user needs to perform the following functions:
- First, select the “Provider” as “MySQL ODBC 5.1 Driver”.
- Now, enter the “Server name” as “localhost”.
- You need to enter the “Username” and “Password” of localhost which are required for logging into the MySQL.
- Finally, you need to click on the “Connect” option. This will help in connecting the user to MySQL and contains the list of all the databases that are mapped along with the username that are used for login purposes.
- After this, you need to click on the “Connect to SQL Server” option provided at the top. This will open up a new dialog box known as “Connect to SQL Server” as shown below. Now, you need to perform the following steps as mentioned below:
- You need to first select or enter the Server Name.
- Now, the user needs to select the “Server Port” as “default”.
- To carry out the data migration of the MySQL platform, it is important to select the right database. This database creation in SQL Server with the help of “SQL Server Management Studio” is an important step before the creation of a database connection.
- The user needs to select the “Authentication” as Windows or SQL Server.
- It is required to enter the “Username” and “Password” for connecting the SQL Server.
Finally, you need to click on the “Connect” option. It will open up a new dialog box that says “Operation Prerequisite Not Met”, you need to click on “Continue” option. With this step, you would be able to establish a connection with SQL Server along with list of all the databases. Below are the images about the same process.
- Now, you need to select the database from “MySQL Metadata Explorer” sub- window that needs to be migrated to SQL Server. Once, you have made the selection, a “Convert Schema” option is enabled which needs to be clicked. With this step, you can easily convert the MySQL Database Schema into the SQL Server Database Schema. This process changes the data types of all the columns available in database tables into an applicable data type of the SQL Server.
- Once, the schema has been converted, you need to select the database from the “SQL Server Metadata Explorer” sub-window. The user just have to right click on that and then select “Save as Script” option to save the required script into the desired location of the system. This is an important step before finally accomplishing the data migration as all the tables of your existing MySQL needs to be created on the target database of the SQL Server.
- Now, it is time to locate the file that you have saved and double click on it. An “SQL Server Management Studio” window will open up asking for the establishment of connection with the SQL Server. You need to enter the required credentials over there and then click on the “Connect” option.
- Once, the connection has been established, you need to click on the “Execute” option located at the top. This option will help in executing the file and will include all the tables into the selected database as shown in the image below:
- Now, you need to move towards the “SQL Server Migration Assistant” tool and then select the required database where you want to perform the migration into the SQL Server. This will help in enabling the “Migrate Data” option provided at the top. By clicking on it, a dialog box will open up asking for the establishment of the connection with MySQL and SQL Server one by one. You need to enter the required credentials over there to establish the connection as shown in the image below:
- Once, you have successfully established the connection, the system would automatically migrate the data into the targeted database of SQL Server and can also be seen in the “SQL Server Management Studio” for refreshing the above database.
With the implementation of these simple steps, it is now easier to migrate the data of MySQL into the MSSQL platform without any trouble. In this way, websites can migrate their existing database from the MySQL platform to MSSQL Server in a quick and efficient manner. For more information about the useful eCommerce extensions that can help in the data migration services, you can visit our website at knowband for availing our expert custom module development services.
Liked This? You’ll Like These Too