Installation Steps of Magento Popup Promotion Extension
1. Disable the Cache
The Magento front end relies heavily on caching to provide a faster experience to customer. This is a wonderful tool, but can wreak havoc during the installation process. To ensure that the cache is not the cause of any problems, we should turn it off. This can be done from the admin console
by navigating to the cache management page (System->Cache Management), selecting all caches, clicking disable from the drop-down menu, and submitting the change.
2. Disable Compilation Mode
This may not be an issue for many readers, but if you are using Magento’s compilation mode on your store, it is important that you remove it. Without going into to many details, compilation mode takes many files spread out over the system and condensing them into a single file that can be run very quickly. If an extensions files are not in the system when this single file is compiled, they will not be included. To check that this is disabled, go to System->Tools->Compilation. If the compiler status is Disabled, you are ready to go. If not, simply click the Disable button on the right hand side of the screen.
Choose an Installation Method
There are two different methods used to install extensions. The first involves taking advantage of the Magento Connect Manager, while the second involves manually installing the files via ftp or command line. The first option is generally used by store owners and is a relatively automated process, the problem is that if there is a problem with this process, you are at the mercy of the connect manager to tell you where the problem is coming from. Option two involves getting your hands on the files yourself and manually dropping them into the Magento installation.
Option 1: Using Magento Connect
- User account for Magento Connect
- Magento Admin account with access to Magento Connect Manager
As stated before, this option is relatively easy to implement. The first step is finding the link on Magento Connect for the extension you wish to install. Once there click install now. If you are not currently logged into the site you will be prompted to do so. Next, select the version of Magento connect you are using (if in doubt, select 2.0), accept the extensions license agreement, and copy the extension key.
Log into your stores admin console and navigate to System->Magento Connect->Magento Connect Manager. At this point you will be prompted to re-enter your administrator credentials. In order to install an extension from the connect manager; you must have an account with full access to the administration console. If you were given limited access, Magento will not allow you to proceed. Once you are logged into the manager, simply paste the extension key into the text box and click install. A system window will appear towards the bottom of the page that will display the progress of your
Congratulations, you have successfully installed the extension on your store. Be sure to test thoroughly before re-enabling the cache/compilation. If you found no problems both before and after these features have been re-enabled, you should be ready to repeat the installation process on your live site. DONT FORGET TO BACKUP ALL FILES AND DATABASES BEFORE
Option 2: Manual Installation
- All files used by the extension.
- FTP access to your website.
The connect manager is a useful tool for installing extensions, but prefer hands-on method when it comes to installations. It feels more comfortable when you are personally in control of the process.
Do you see an app-code directory there, what about app-etc-modules? If you dont see these directory paths and files contained within them chances are that the extension download was faulty. Take a look at the package.xml file, this is the blueprint used by Magento Connect to arrange the files in the proper places. You may need to use this to ensure that everything is as it should be. Once you have reviewed the extension files you are ready to perform the last step. Using your ftp client, drag all of the files onto the store root of the magento instance.
Depending on the number of files in the extension, this may take a few moments. Now go to the admin console and click Flush Cache Storage. This is the requirement for any extension that adds pages to the admin console. Logging out and back in is also required to ensure that everything loads properly. If you cannot clear the cache via the admin console for any reason,
you will need to clear the cache manually via your FTP client (see the first FAQ question for assistance). That is the final step. Congratulations on a successful installation.
Troubleshooting & FAQs
I loaded all files onto my Magento store, and now get a white screen for some or all of the admin console.
This is a fairly common problem, and 99% of the time it is cache related. If you can get to it, go to System->Cache Management and click Flush Cache Storage. This will ensure that everything cached by Magento is deleted and will to be regenerated. Log out and back in to complete the process.
If you are completely cut off from the admin console, navigate to the var-cache directory of your website. You should see a series of directories named mage*. Delete all of these directories (DO NOT DELETE var-cache). This is the equivalent of flushing the cache storage from the admin console.
I am receiving a Magento error when accessing certain pages. How can I debug this?
This question really deserves a blog post all to itself, but a good start would be to go into the errors directory of your store. Locate the local.xml.sample file and rename it local.xml. The next time you see the error detailed information will be provided explaining where the error took place. Dont forget to change this back when you are finished troubleshooting!
I have a critical error with my webstore and need to turn off an extension I cannot access the admin console. What do I do?
Go to the app-etc-modules directory and open the file that goes with your extension. The naming convention is generally DeveloperName_ExtensionName.xml. In this case it would be
Look for the active tags in the file, change the value from true to false and save your changes. This tells Magento that the extension is disabled and not to run any code associated to it. Deleting the Magento cache is recommended (and most likely required) for this change to take effect.
1. To excess Popup Promotion plugin, Click on Popup Promotion Tab appearing in navigation menu as shown below.
2. On clicking menu Popup Promotion the module for plugin will open. It contains navigational bar at the top, Tab menu at the left and main content in the center as shown below.
General Settings Tab
1. Popup Module Status: To enable the plugin, select enable present under the label of Popup Module Status.
2. Popup Height and Popup Width: Enter the Popup Width and Popup Height in pixels. Please note you should enter only numeric value do not write px or other character.
3. Popup Open Time: Enter the time in seconds which will set the time after which Popup will display when customer open the page.
4. Popup Auto Close Time: Enter the time in seconds which will set the time after which popup will automatically closed.
NOTE : If the Customer close the Popup then the Popup will close instantly but Popup will display again with new Ad (if set ) after the seconds set in Popup Open Time.
5. Popup Position : Select the position of Popup to display with reference to web page.
Left : The popup will display in top left of web page.
Right : The popup will display in top right of web page.
Bottom Left : The popup will display in Bottom left of web page.
Bottom Right : The popup will display in Bottom right of web page.
Bottom Center : The popup will display in Bottom Center of web page.
All Pages : The popup will display on all pages of website.
Category Pages : The popup will display on all category pages of website.
Product Pages : The popup will display on all product pages of website.
7. Popup Link behaviour : Select the type of link behaviour,
Open in New Tab/Page : The Popup link will open in a new tab/page.
Open in Same Page: The Popup link will open in a same tab/page.
Sometimes themes used in magento already includes it but sometime they dont. If jquery is already inlcluded in your theme select no else select yes to include it.
Image Settings Tab
Popup Image Setting
1. Popup Image Status: This option is used to show / hide the image. This option is useful in case of multiple images.
2. Popup Text: Enter the text (if required) to be displayed on the image.
3. Popup Text Position: Set the position of text to be display on the Image of popup. For ex. See the text Click Me in below screen shot .
Bottom Center Alignment: 4. Popup Text Size: Enter the size of text in pixels. Enter only numeric value , do not write px in end.
5. Popup Text Color : When you click in text box a color picker will open. Select the desired color.
6. Link Url: Enter the URL to which customer will redirect on clicking that popup image.
NOTE : Enter the URL carefully. Its better to write url like http://www.example.com/.
7. Upload the image: Upload the image that you want to display in the popup. You can select image of any size and resolution .
NOTE : Upload the image having resolution equal or more than the popup resolution for better quality of popup.
8. Image Preview : When you save the settings the uploaded images preview will display here. If incorrect image is uploaded you can again upload new image using previous Upload New Image option.
1. If you want to add more Ads just click Add More Button and One more Popup Image Setting Widget will display below.
2. If You want to remove/delete any Ad just press the remove button.
NOTE: You cannot remove the first Ad but if you do not want to display that Ad then just select Hide from Image Status or you can change the Image.
Hope that we have covered all the issues regarding installation of Magento Extension. Check out our blog on how you can enhance your sale with pop up promotion.
Liked This? You’ll Like These Too